Thursday, February 26, 2015

Around Town #5

"Around Town" involved late (late for me) night viewing of Macbeth at the University of Memphis Theater and Dance auditorium. 
I thought it was well done and found it so different from one other Macbeth I've seen. Edgy, as it were.
The movement and eery voices of the actors on stage took on roles as he "original witches," zombie like tormentors and even the cauldron with its fire. The unusual sparse set, which intrigued me, provided for all of that.
Yet, it was still Shakespeare's Macbeth and I think has an appeal for a far broader audience than Shakespeare aficionados. The blood, murder and madness is still, there but with a visual twist.
The UM production sent me back to my own 1901 copy of Macbeth. I hope it will do the same for the 35+ senior English students I was "chaperoning."

It's fun to go "around town" occasionally with the younger set---even if it means staying up past my bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment