Tuesday, July 28, 2015

"In the Boat"

I have just started reading, The Boys in the Boat, by Daniel James Brown., even though I had said that I was going to ease up on "war" books because no matter how well written, there was an element of horror that saddens me. At least this one is pre WWII.
Brown had me in the prologue. To Joe, "the boat" was something  mysterious and almost beyond definition.It was a shared experience--a singular thing that had occurred in a golden sliver of time long gone, when nine good-hearted young menstrove together, pulled together as one, gave everythng they had for one another, bound together forever by pride, and respect and love."(p.2)
If the rest of the book grabs me like the prologue, I'm in for a "goodread."
I get it, albeit in less dramatic experiences. In my Christian walk, I have found a depth to relationship shared with believers on the same side of the struggle, whether it be grief, worry, or cancer.

Growing up, I knew what it meant when someone said, "we are all in the same boat." But I like Joe Rantz's positive meaning better.

No comments:

Post a Comment